9 Ekim 2012 Salı

Software Engineering: principles and more

To contact us Click HERE


So the second lecture of CS3216 is about Software Engineering.  To tell the truth, the lecture is not very new to me. In fact, I was taught almost all (maybe all but I forgot) of it in CS2103 and CS3217. Although I thought that Prof. Ben did a really good job in reviewing SE for the programmers, I did not think that a 2-hour lecture is enough for the non-programmers to fully understand the principles of SE.

Since it is like a review lecture to me, I find nothing quite surprising about SE to say about. However, there comes again the question of sharing or not. “Ideas are cheap and plenty”- quoted from our beloved lecturer, Ben Leong. I also support sharing ideas. However, I do not object to no sharing. Sharing is good because you can find someone who have the same interest or can validate your ideas. At least you can evaluate the potential market before making decisions. I am a Google fan because they promote sharing. Google release some of their products (as in Google Lab) to collect feedback from users. Google also like open-source (Android, Chrome web browser…). One good example of not sharing ideas is Apple.  They tend to keep their product a secret until it is launched. Both companies are really successful with their own strategies. There seems to be no right answer for the question.

The lecture is no all about principles of software engineering, Prof. Ben also gives me some motivations.  I quite impressed (again) by the illustration of the potential bar and start wondering how far to the right I was, I am and I will be. After surviving last semester with CS3217, I found my potential bar is pushed to the right a bit. At the moment what really matters me is not surviving another semester but how to push it further. In CS3216, I met many really interesting people who are all talented and motivated. My team for FB assignment consists of such people. They make me feel that the training I got from CS3216 is not enough at all L (actually can never be enough).

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder